filename input wildcard `?'

From: Drew Adams
Subject: filename input wildcard `?'
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 18:37:05 -0700

The Emacs manual says this in node Visiting:

  If the file name you specify contains shell-style wildcard
  characters, Emacs visits all the files that match it.  Wildcards
  include `?', `*', and `[...]' sequences.

No examples of using wildcard `?' are given, but presumably you would type
`foo?.el' if you wanted to match all files `foo3.el', `fooz.el', and so on.

However, `?' is bound in the minibuffer completion keymaps to
`minibuffer-completion-help' - so how can you type `foo?.el'?

The only ways I've found to input `foo?.el' are:

 1) to copy it as text and then paste it into the minibuffer
 2) to use ^Q to insert the `?'

Is that right, or am I missing something?

If these are the only ways to input a `?' as a file-name wildcard, shouldn't
this be mentioned in the Emacs manual? As it stands, it gives (me) the
impression that you can just type `foo?.el', which you cannot (AFAICT).

It would also be good to have an example of `[...]' wildcard use. The aim is
not to give a course on shell wildcards, but a short example of each would
help.