Re: gutenberg-coding.el -- coding system for Project Gutenberg files

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: Re: gutenberg-coding.el -- coding system for Project Gutenberg files
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 11:43:10 +1000

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> Since those files are not used very commonly I think it's difficult to
> justify the risk of checking for the presence of a Gutenberg "coding cookie"
> on each and every file.

Hopefully the risk is small.  Or put it this way, is there likely to
be a file in the matched form, but which is in some encoding other
than the one stated.

I did want to do something tighter for the first-line match, or locate
the end of the header info part, but the format varies too much.

> Don't those files have a (set of) standardized extensions?

The normal files (the ones I'm interested in) are .txt.  (There's
others like tex or html, txt is the majority.)

(The downloads are available as .zip containing .txt, and I presume
most people will use that, so something that works from archive-mode
as well as a plain find-file is highly desirable.)