gcc and inline [was: Re: New function for gdb-ui.el?]

From: Tomas Zerolo
Subject: gcc and inline [was: Re: New function for gdb-ui.el?]
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 17:02:59 +0200

On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 09:58:41PM +1300, Nick Roberts wrote:

[...]

> I don't think I understand the issues.  I thought if I used the keyword inline
> e.g "inline int mysquare (int x)", I would get an inline function.  Perhaps
> thats not the case because I can set a breakpoint, stop there and see mysquare
> in the stack.

No, it's just a hint to the compiler. It may think it knows better than
you. You may ask the compiler to warn you when it ignores the hint (with
-Winline).

If you want to *force* inline, you may try a monstrosity like
__inline__ __attribute__((always_inline)) (if I remember correctly).

HTH
-- tomás