Re: "No further undo information" clutters *Messages* buffer

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: "No further undo information" clutters *Messages* buffer
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 10:11:55 -0600

martin rudalics wrote:
>  >     Is it inevitable that `undo-more' raises an error when there is no
>  >     further undo information?
>  >
>  > That seems like the right thing to do.
>
> Eventually
>
> Undo!
> undo-more: No further undo information
>
> occupied more than 90% of my `*Messages*' buffer which made it quite
> difficult to trace more interesting error messages.  I finally turned
> this off by making `undo-more' display a non-logged message and ding
> when there was no more undo information.  Hardly the right thing to do
> but I didn't know better.

You could do that fairly cleanly with advice:

(defadvice undo-more (around disable-message-log activate)
  "Don't log \"No further undo information\" error messages."
  ;; Note that the "Undo!" messages are displayed by `undo', which
  ;; calls `undo-more' directly and via `undo-start'.   `undo-start'
  ;; also logs "No undo information in this buffer" error messages.
  (let ((message-log-max nil))
    ad-do-it))

> Ideally, I wanted `undo' issue `Undo...', `Redo...', etc. first.  If the
> operation succeeded it would display `Undo...done', `Redo...done', etc.
> Otherwise, it would issue `Undo...', `Redo...', etc. with the according
> error text appended.  In any case `message_log_check_duplicate' would
> take care of the rest.

Hmmm...

--
Kevin Rodgers