Re: Use .emacs.d in savehist.el

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Use .emacs.d in savehist.el
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 12:46:32 -0400

    If the user looks inside ~/.emacs.d he probably doesn't want to ignore the
    emacs config file and the history file.  Otherwise, there won't be
    anything left.  So if anything needs fixing it's the ~/.emacs.d/.emacs.

I agree with that reasoning.  It looks like the file name
~/.emacs.d/.emacs is a feature added since the last release.  So there
is no problem removing the dot, and it would be better to do it now,
so that we avoid an incompatible change between releases.