Re: pxref

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: pxref
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 18:34:04 +0000 (UTC)

Today's GNU Emacs CVS snapshot, Wed, 2005 Oct 26  17:49 UTC
GNU Emacs 22.0.50.6 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.6.10)
started with `emacs -Q -D'

   I installed a fix I think is correct.

The change for Info looks right to me.  I added more test lines to
foo.texi and they all look right in the default Emacs Info.

However, I also checked the DVI version, created by `texi2dvi'.
Unfortunately, that makes a capitalized `See' when the preceding text
with a colon and is not followed by a blank line.

In DVI as viewed with xdvi:

    Here is another @xref, no parentheses; this ends with a colon and
    is not followed by a blank line: See Musings on fossil fuels.

But in the default Info display:

    Here is another @xref, no parentheses; this ends with a colon and
    is not followed by a blank line:  see Musings on fossil fuels.

Here is the test file I used:

% \input /usr/local/src/texinfo-4.8/doc/texinfo.tex  @c -*-texinfo-*-
\input texinfo.tex  @c -*-texinfo-*-
@comment %**start of header
@setfilename foo.info
@settitle Texinfo Test
@smallbook
@comment %**end of header

@ignore

 ## Summary of shell commands to create various output formats:

    pushd /u/texinfo/

    ## Info output
    makeinfo --force --fill-column=70 --no-split --paragraph-indent=0 \
    --verbose foo.texi

    ## ;; (kill-buffer "*info*")
    ## ;; (info "/u/texinfo/foo.info" nil)

    ## DVI output
    texi2dvi foo.texi

    ## View DVI output
    ##     xdvi foo.dvi &

    ## HTML output
    makeinfo --no-split --html foo.texi

    ## Plain text output
    makeinfo --fill-column=70 --no-split --paragraph-indent=0 \
    --verbose --no-headers --output=foo.txt  \
    foo.texi

    ## DocBook output
    makeinfo --docbook --no-split --paragraph-indent=0 \
    --verbose foo.texi

    ## XML output
    makeinfo --xml --no-split --paragraph-indent=0 \
    --verbose foo.texi

    popd

@end ignore

@titlepage
@sp 6
@center @titlefont{Test document}
@sp 4
@center by Robert J. Chassell

@page
@vskip 0pt plus 1filll
@end titlepage

@contents

@ifnottex
@node Top, Chapter One, (dir), (dir)
@top Test Top
@end ifnottex

@menu
* Chapter One::
* Musings on fossil fuels::
@end menu

@node Chapter One, Musings on fossil fuels, Top, Top
@chapter Chapter One

Contents of chapter 1.
@sp 1

@ifnotinfo
@noindent
See

@noindent
@url{http://www.rattlesnake.com/notions/Choice-and-Constraint.html},

@noindent
which is intended as a description of `what is'
@dots{} not the `what is' that most often concern citizens,
politicians, and political scientists, but a `what is' that reflects
the current world and of `what can be done'.

@sp 1

    Here is an @@pxref (@pxref{Musings on fossil fuels}) in a sentence.

    Here is a standalone xref within parentheses:

    (@xref{Musings on fossil fuels}.)

    Here is another @@xref, no parentheses; this ends with a colon and
    is followed by a blank line:

    @xref{Musings on fossil fuels}.

    Here is another @@xref, no parentheses; this ends with a period and
    is followed by a blank line.

    is not followed by a blank line:  @xref{Musings on fossil fuels}.

    Here is another @@xref, no parentheses; this ends with a period and
    is not followed by a blank line.  @xref{Musings on fossil fuels}.

    Here is a standalone xref within parentheses, no blank line:
    (@xref{Musings on fossil fuels}.)

@sp 1
More contents of chapter 1.

@node Musings on fossil fuels,  , Chapter One, Top
@chapter Musings on Fossil Fuels

More than three decades ago, some modern people I knew tried to
replace fossil fuels with alternate sources of energy.

@bye