Re: Use .emacs.d in savehist.el

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Use .emacs.d in savehist.el
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 08:28:57 +0900

2005/10/27, Richard M. Stallman <address@hidden>:
>     If the user looks inside ~/.emacs.d he probably doesn't want to ignore the
>     emacs config file and the history file.  Otherwise, there won't be
>     anything left.  So if anything needs fixing it's the ~/.emacs.d/.emacs.
>
> I agree with that reasoning.  It looks like the file name
> ~/.emacs.d/.emacs is a feature added since the last release.  So there
> is no problem removing the dot, and it would be better to do it now,
> so that we avoid an incompatible change between releases.

BTW, the name "~/.emacs.d/emacs" (with or without a dot) seems rather
weird, and gives me little clue what the file actualy is for.  Is it
an init file, like ~/.emacs?  If so, something like
"~/.emacs.d/init.el" would be a great deal more clear...

[and as you say, this is the one chance to rename it without headaches, so...]

-Miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.