Re: Translated from Japanese - how should the header look?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Translated from Japanese - how should the header look?
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 10:33:27 +0900

2005/10/27, Kenichi Handa <address@hidden>:
> > Thanks, I see. The --*-- spec should be on the same line as the description:
>
> > ;;; cmd-mode.el --- Editing of MS Windows cmd and bat files ;; -*- Mode:
> > Emacs-Lisp ; coding: sjis-dos -*-
>
> You don't need "mode: Emacs-Lisp" because the file has
> extension ".el".  Such a file is automatically visitted in
> emacs-lisp mode.   And if the first line gets too longer,
> you can put coding: sjis-dos at the end of a file using
> locale variable section.

BTW, wouldn't it make sense to have checkdoc allow a "two line" header too?
It seems kind of silly to force all that stuff on one line when a
two-line version is arguably more readable (in those cases where you
need a long description).

I mean something like what Lennart originally tried:

    ;;; -*- Mode: Emacs-Lisp ; coding: sjis-dos -*-
    ;;; cmd-mode.el --- Editing of MS Windows cmd and bat files

I.e., the first line is just the mode vars, and the real header is the 2nd line.

[of course maybe it's not necessary in this case,, if Mode: Emacs-Lisp
is removed.]

-miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.