Re: gcc and inline [was: Re: New function for gdb-ui.el?]

From: Tomas Zerolo
Subject: Re: gcc and inline [was: Re: New function for gdb-ui.el?]
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 06:22:43 +0200

On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 09:32:39PM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 17:02:59 +0200
> > From: address@hidden (Tomas Zerolo)
> > Cc: address@hidden, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, address@hidden,
> >     address@hidden
> >
> > No, it's just a hint to the compiler.
>
> Yes, but GCC is generally known for honoring that hint.

As Andreas said, GCC seems to be getting lazier lately. (Actually, my
knowledge bits were based on a recent experience. -Winline told me, to
my surprise, that some short function wasn't being inlined. But (after
digging and finding this __inline__ __attribute__ thing) forcing the
compiler to do it confirmed the compiler's guess: it wasn't worth the
while (the whole thing was faster by about 1 percent, which I consider
to be noise).

This behaviour was consistent across several gcc versions (2.95 through
3.some).

Regards
-- tomás