Re: pxref

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: pxref
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 15:03:09 +0000 (UTC)

     ... (last I knew it was *[nN]ote" in Info, anyway, not "[sS]ee"])?

This has changed in the default Info display.

Now the default display (which as I said, I do not see normally) is
"[sS]ee"].  As far as I know, this has been the case for more than a
year.  (The earlist vc-annotate change date that seems relevant is
08-Apr-04.)

    As far as I know neither makeinfo nor texinfo.tex have changed in
    this regard.

True.  (I have been using Texinfo version 4.8 for both makeinfo and
texi2dvi with the texinfo.tex saying version 2003-07-16.18.)  The
change is to the online display, as shown in a current default Emacs
from CVS.

Thus, using today's GNU Emacs CVS snapshot, Thu, 2005 Oct 27 12:31 UTC
GNU Emacs 22.0.50.7 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.6.10) started
with

    emacs/src/emacs -q

we see this in Info:

    Here is another @xref, no parentheses; this ends with a colon and
    is not followed by a blank line:  see Musings on fossil fuels.

not `*Note'.

When you set

    (setq Info-hide-note-references nil)

then you see `*Note' in your display.  `*Note' is also what is copied
between different instances of Emacs, even when the display of the
source shows `see'.

A copy of Emacspeak with Emacspeak code from 24 May 2005 speaks
`*Note' but visually shows `See' with a capital `S'.

--
    Robert J. Chassell
    address@hidden                         GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8