Re: vc & cvs buglet

From: Giorgos Keramidas
Subject: Re: vc & cvs buglet
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 20:33:31 +0300

On 2005-10-27 11:09, Kevin Rodgers <address@hidden> wrote:
> Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> >It appears that some sort of internal initialization of vc.el is done a
> >bit late.  If I hit ``C-x v l'' while editing a version controlled file,
> >an empty log buffer comes up.  Re-running ``C-x v l'' a second time
> >brings up the correct log.
> >
> >How should I go about tracing this?
>
> Sometimes while using CVS there is a delay.  If you wait for a while,
> does the correct log appear after the first `C-x v l'?

Nope.  VC seems to think that cvs is finished, but no output has been
copied in the *vc-change-log* buffer.  All I see is:

,-------------------------------------------------------------------------
| # Startup file for GNU bash on my FreeBSD laptop.
| #
| # Copyright (C) 2005, Giorgos Keramidas <address@hidden>
| # All rights reserved.
| #
| # $GKER: dotfiles/freebsd/amd64/flame/dot.bashrc,v 1.19 2005/10/26 23:27
|
| [...]
| -77-:---F1  dot.bashrc     Top (1,0)     CVS-1.19   (Fundamental)-------
|

| -777:%%-F1  *vc-change-log*   All (1,0)       (Log-View from dot.bashrc)
|Running cvs in the background... done

There are only 3 empty lines in *vc-change-log* (probably because that's
the starting size of the buffer's appearance, but the 'done' message
seems to imply that VC is not blocked waiting for input.  It may not be
a bug of VC, since I'm running FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #0: Mon Oct 24
23:56:24 EEST 2005, but I'm not sure how to trace the execution of
(vc-print-log) to find out what is going on.

- Giorgos