Re: RFC: Support for FreeBSD/amd64

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: RFC: Support for FreeBSD/amd64
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 21:08:32 +0200

> From: Frank Schmitt <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 08:50:05 +0200
>
> Giorgos Keramidas <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > To bootstrap Emacs on my FreeBSD/amd64 snapshot I had to use the
> > following patch -- also available at:
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~keramida/emacs/22/freebsd-amd64.diff
> [...]
> > +#define LIB_STANDARD -lgcc -lc -lgcc /usr/lib/crtn.o
> [...]
>
> Theres -lgcc two times in above line.

Yes, and they both are almost certainly needed.  The reason is that
some functions in libgcc.a call functions from libc.a, and some libc.a
functions need functions from libgcc.a.  Since most versions of ld are
one-pass linkers, you need to mention -lgcc twice, or else risk
getting unresolved externals.