Re: flyspell bug

From: Agustin Martin
Subject: Re: flyspell bug
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 11:11:00 +0000 (UTC)

Richard M. Stallman <rms <at> gnu.org> writes:

>     When I check it, it is considered a misspelling. Maybe it is in your
>     personal dictionary?
>
> That was indeed the reason.  Trying it with an empty personal
> dictionary, I observed the bug.  This patch seems to work; does it
> give good results?

I have tested that in a sample file and seems to work the same as the old
flyspell-external-point-words function from flyspell.el-1.6h (what was present
in emacs21.4). That means that works much better than what was previously
included in emacs-cvs flyspell.el and in any further flyspell.el version
(seemed to be the same code).

The only pending problem I see is that mentioned by Piet van Oostrum.
Reading the flyspell page seems that trying to fix it was the cause for all
those strange double loops, introduced in flyspell.el 1.6i and 1.6j (from
Sep 2002). Unfortunately seems that the fix did more harm than good, and never
really worked. I am surprised that this has been unnoticed for this long time
(since 2002!!)

I am adding the relevant flyspell changelog entries,

Release 1.6j, Fri Sep 20 08:52:00 CEST 2002 (Pasi Ryhanen, Manuel Serrano):
      *** The fix of 1.6i was actually incorrect. It has thus been stripped
      off. The new fix iterate over a search word until an actual match
      is found.

Release 1.6i, Thu Sep 19 10:23:12 CEST 2002 (Pasi Ryhanen, Manuel Serrano):

      *** Improves the performance of flyspell-buffer. The spell checking
        of the whole buffer is now much faster (many thanks to Pasi).

        *** Fix a bug in buffer checking. The search for incorrect words
        was incorrect because flyspell.el was not searching "words" but
        "strings". The consequence was that if the incorrect word appeared
        fist, as a prefix of a correct word, it was not highlighted at the
        location it was misspelled.