Re: checkdoc: URLs in docstrings with lisp symbols

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Re: checkdoc: URLs in docstrings with lisp symbols
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 15:01:16 -0700

"Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:

>     checkdoc ignores the make-face string but complains that the make-face
>     bit in the URL should be quoted `'. The Info node (elisp)Documentation
>     Tips doesn't say how URLs should be treated.
>
> The right way to treat them would be in a way that enables
> the help facility to follow the link and display the URL.
> I tend to think that `' quoting is the natural way to implement that.
> Would you like to implement that?

That sounds like a good idea. Done.

I've updated help-mode.el based upon the code to follow Info
references. The code now recognizes strings like "URL
`http://www.gnu.org/'" and uses browse-url to view them.

I've updated etc/NEWS, man/help.texi, and lispref/tips.texi with this
new feature.

However, I haven't yet documented that this feature uses browse-url.
It seems that the user should know where to go to customize his
browsing experience. Should I mention this in (emacs)Help Mode. If
not, where?

p.s. Eli will notice that I documented the use of "URL" but the code
accepts "url" as well ;-). This is intentional. I'd prefer folks use
uppercase for acronyms, but I wanted the code to be liberal.

--
Bill Wohler <address@hidden>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD