Re: "No further undo information" clutters *Messages* buffer

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: "No further undo information" clutters *Messages* buffer
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 11:24:39 +0200

>     Eventually
>
>     Undo!
>     undo-more: No further undo information
>
>     occupied more than 90% of my `*Messages*' buffer which made it quite
>     difficult to trace more interesting error messages.
>
> How did that happen?  From one sequence of undos, you'll only
> get one such message.  So you must have done lots of sequences
> of undos, and in each one, continued until you got an error.
> It's not impossible, but it is strange and probably unusual.
>
> Can you show us a complete, precise test case?

I'm using the recipe from the Emacs manual

   "If you notice that a buffer has been modified accidentally, the
easiest way to recover is to type `C-_' repeatedly until the stars
disappear from the front of the mode line."

In practice I "type `C-_' repeatedly" using the auto-repeat function of
that key.  When there's no more undo information, some time will pass by
until I take notice and release the key.  This way I issue some 10-20
undo commands in one sequence of undos.  With 2-3 three successful undos
the failing ones may get me nearly a page full of the messages cited
above.  Hence one sequence of undos typically produces something like

Undo! [2 times]
undo-more: No further undo information
Undo!
undo-more: No further undo information
Undo!
undo-more: No further undo information
Undo!

Maybe the auto-repeat rate of my keyboard is too high but I got too much
used to that as to change it.  Or should I try discarding my input for
pending undos and an empty pending-undo-list?  Anyway, if no one else
experiences this, it must be a consequence of my typing idiosyncrasies.

>     Ideally, I wanted `undo' issue `Undo...', `Redo...', etc. first.  If the
>     operation succeeded it would display `Undo...done', `Redo...done', etc.
>     Otherwise, it would issue `Undo...', `Redo...', etc. with the according
>     error text appended.  In any case `message_log_check_duplicate' would
>     take care of the rest.
>
> It already combines duplicate Undo! messages, so that you end up
> with at most one of them from any sequence of undos.

But "Undo! \n undo-more: No further undo information" are two messages
occupying two lines and `message_log_check_duplicate' doesn't combine
entries comprising two lines.