Re: flyspell bug

From: Piet van Oostrum
Subject: Re: flyspell bug
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 12:12:01 +0200

>RMS>     local.h

>RMS>     distribution dist distr

>RMS>     Local Variables:
>RMS>     ispell-local-dictionary: "francais"
>RMS>     End:

>RMS> I can't test this, because I don't have a French dictionary.
>RMS> I hope someone else can debug it, if indeed it fails with the
>RMS> latest code.

Well, I  was too fast saying that it worked for me: I also didn't have a
french dictionary, I don't write french too often. Moreover I copied the
text in a buffer, so the local dictionary wasn't obeyed.

I installed the french dictionary and found the bug.

The problem is that ispell considers "local.h" an incorrect word, but
flyspell-word (and ispell-word) when checking consider "h" the word in
question and consider it good. The reason is that ispell.el and ispell the
program don't agree on what's a word. In francais.aff the boundarychars are
[-'address@hidden and in the ispell-dictionary-alist only [-']. Therefore
ispell the
program considers "local.h" one word and ispell.el considers it two words.
I don't know why "." and "@" are included in the affix file (especially "@"
seems strange) but I guess a French person might explain it. Anyway it
helps to add "." and "@" to otherchars in the ispell-dictionary-alist entry
for francais. By the way, I don't think aspell considers "@" to be a
boundarychar.

--