Re: pxref

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: pxref
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 22:47:47 +0300

> To me it seems obvious that making Emacs able to read the Info files
> in XML format would be very desirable.  The main problem right now is
> simple: Emacs currently quite simply can not read the XML output.

Emacs already can read the XML output.  Just try, for example, after:

  makeinfo --xml -o info.xml info.texi

to evaluate:

  (xml-parse-file "info.xml")

`xml-parse-file' is a top-level autoloaded function, so you will see
its output, which is just a simple Lisp structure.

So the main problem is not reading the XML output, but rendering such
Lisp structure into the final representation.  This could be achieved
most easily with using DSSSL-like rules.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/