Re: Global Font Lock by default

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Global Font Lock by default
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 09:52:45 -0500

    > However, this does not work.  The reason is that the value
    > of BYTES_USED, which I believe is obtained from mallinfo,
    > does not seem to decrease even when a large buffer is killed.

    This approach is probably not very protable.

It is only used with DOUG_LEA_MALLOC, but that case is very
important, since it is used on GNU/Linux.

    Can't you just try to malloc (and free) 10000 bytes, and report
    MEM FULL if it fails?

It already does that; the issue here is what to do afterward.
The idea is that when more memory is available Emacs should
refill its memory reserve.  The question is how to tell
when more memory is available.

    Maybe you could add a "memory-full-hook" which could contain functions
    to be run when memory runs full -- this could involve turning off
    font-lock, kill some buffers (which?), and other things that may free
    up memory.

That part is done--I made these things test `memory-full'.

I found the mallinfo information and fixed the problem.
I think this works now.

So now I think we are ready to enable font-lock by default.
Would someone like to do that?