Re: Use .emacs.d in savehist.el

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Use .emacs.d in savehist.el
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 21:29:27 -0500

>     Another note: it seems to me that most libraries that use ".emacs.d"
>     look for it in "~".  Would it make sense to extend the
>     `init-file-user' variable so that the directory goes into
>
>         (concat "~" init-file-user "/.emacs.d")
>
> Yes!

You sure?  What is the intended usage of init-file-user anyway?

If normal libraries follow init-file-user, you could have a situation
where a user tries to write customization files into the home
directory of another user.  This doesn't make much sense, but I don't
understand when it makes sense to set init-file-user in the first
place.