Re: Finish updating copyright years

From: Randal L. Schwartz
Subject: Re: Finish updating copyright years
Date: 31 Oct 2005 06:34:47 -0800

>>>>> "Piet" == Piet van Oostrum <address@hidden> writes:

Piet> That means the old contents will expire earlier than the new contents,
Piet> I suppose. I don't think emacs will ever get into that problem :=)

Well, there are parts of my sole distro contribution (pp.el) that are
unchanged from Sep 9, 1988 when I first released it[1].  Oddly, I see
the first copyright as 1989, so that's already a bit of a lie.

Actually, since the copyrights are all modern-era copyrights, most of
this is actually moot.  The copyright expires in a manner not related
to first-publication, but to the death of the "owner".  Since the
owner is the FSF, all materials assigned to FSF are copyrighted to
the "death" of FSF plus 70 years (thanks to the "mickey mouse" rule).

At least, I think so.

[1]
<http://groups.google.com/group/comp.emacs/msg/cd681e2a93f1db25?dmode=source>

<address@hidden> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>