Re: Global Font Lock by default

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: Global Font Lock by default
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 12:48:06 -0800

Romain Francoise <address@hidden> writes:

  > Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:
  >
  > > What kind of tty? I tried Linux console, 8 color xterm and 256 color
  > > xterm and font-lock-comment-face is not bold on any of them...
  >
  > 8-color xterm.  I cleaned my tree with maintainer-clean and bootstrapped
  > again but the problem persists.

I can reproduce the problem after a maintainer-clean and bootstrap
too.

I think the problem is that font-lock-comment-face gets initialized to
this:
    (t (:weight bold :slant italic)))
when font-lock is loaded in loadup.el

Later when Emacs is started nothing changes the font-lock-comment-face:
    (((class color) (min-colors 8) (background light))
     )

IMO font-lock-comment-face is missing a default as in the patch
below.
I am not sure if this is the correct fix, maybe something needs to be
changed in the way faces are initialized. (a few other font-lock-*
faces would need the same treatment).

I am not sure what I should do, should I install this fix or back out
the patch that added font-lock to loadup.el?

*** font-lock.el        31 Oct 2005 08:29:09 -0800      1.280
--- font-lock.el        31 Oct 2005 12:41:58 -0800
***************
*** 1678,1684 ****
  ;; But now we do it the custom way.  Note that `defface' will not overwrite
any
  ;; faces declared above via `custom-declare-face'.
  (defface font-lock-comment-face
!   '((((class grayscale) (background light))
       (:foreground "DimGray" :weight bold :slant italic))
      (((class grayscale) (background dark))
       (:foreground "LightGray" :weight bold :slant italic))
--- 1678,1685 ----
  ;; But now we do it the custom way.  Note that `defface' will not overwrite
any
  ;; faces declared above via `custom-declare-face'.
  (defface font-lock-comment-face
!   '((default :inherit default)