Re: Use .emacs.d in savehist.el

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Use .emacs.d in savehist.el
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 05:26:44 -0500

    When you are root, creating a file or directory in another user's home
    directory is problematic.  The file will be owned by root, and the
    user won't be able to write to it.

It sounds easy to fix.

      But Emacs doesn't have any built-in chown
    or chgrp.  Dired can do it, but it's by calling an external program.

I see no disgrace in using an external program.  Why worry about it?
(We could add a function to do it, if we want to.)