Re: M-g in dired

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: M-g in dired
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 05:27:21 -0500

    > Would you like to try modifying that code so it detects the other case?

    I think the most appropriate place to modify is `shadow_lookup'.

That sounds right to me.

    So, for example, in dired-mode-map where "C-x `" is undefined,
    `lookup-key' returns 1:

        (lookup-key dired-mode-map [24 96]) => 1

    It seems this is not correct.

I agree, that is a bug.  Since C-x is a valid prefix key,
the value should not be 1.  It should be whatever
the C-x subkeymap gives for `.

Could you fix that?

    I can't estimate if there is a code that relies on the current
    return value of `lookup-key'.  If so, then perhaps a new special
    argument could be added to `lookup-key' to change the semantic of
    the return value?

Could you study the code some more to try to determine this?