Re: Global Font Lock by default

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: Global Font Lock by default
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 12:00:53 -0800

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

  > > Cc: address@hidden
  > > From: Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden>
  > > Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 21:46:43 -0800
  > >
  > > Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
  > >
  > >   > > For example: on a 256 colors xterm, what should list-colors-display
  > >   > > show when using --color=8? The same as it would on a 8 color xterm
  > >   > > (and no --color options)?
  > >   >
  > >   > Yes.
  > >
  > > That does not happen right now. The problem is that
  > > xterm-register-default-colors creates (display-color-cells) colors, it
  > > does not take into account the --color parameter.

Ooops, this is a bit more convoluted than I believed...

  > That's very strange, because the code was designed so that
  > display-color-cells _does_ take --colors into account.  Here's how it
  > was supposed to work:
  >
  >   . display-color-cells calls tty-display-color-cells
  >
  >   . tty-display-color-cells returns the value of TN_max_colors
  >
  >   . TN_max_colors is modified by term.c:tty_setup_colors
  >
  >   . tty_setup_colors is called by frame.c:store_frame_param (via
  >     set_tty_color_mode) when the frame parameters alist includes the
  >     tty-color-mode parameter

(assume a 256 colors xterm)
One problem is here:
tty_setup_colors does not do anything with its argument (mode) if for
example mode is 16 (i.e. when using --color=16)

Another problem: when using --color=8, display-color-cells will return
8 after emacs is started, but when xterm-register-default-colors is
run it returns 256 ...