Re: Global Font Lock by default

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: Global Font Lock by default
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 21:53:10 -0800

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

  > > Cc: address@hidden
  > > From: Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden>
  > > Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 12:00:53 -0800
  > >
  > > (assume a 256 colors xterm)
  > > One problem is here:
  > > tty_setup_colors does not do anything with its argument (mode) if for
  > > example mode is 16 (i.e. when using --color=16)
  >
  > This is not a bug: 16 colors is not a standard color mode, so it is
  > not currently supported (the manual explains that, I hope).

The manual says "... 8, 16, 88, or 256 as the value of NUM"

  > > Another problem: when using --color=8, display-color-cells will return
  > > 8 after emacs is started, but when xterm-register-default-colors is
  > > run it returns 256 ...
  >
  > This is a bug: when Emacs is started with --color=8, it should behave
  > as if only the 8 standard colors are available.  Could you please see
  > what changes the value returned by display-color-cells?  Something is
  > calling tty_setup_colors to reset to the default color mode (the one
  > that supports 256 colors).

Nothing tries to reset to the default color mode, it looks like
xterm-register-default-colors is called before tty_setup_colors,
so display-color-cells returns the default 256.

When set_tty_color_mode is called:
(gdb) xbacktrace
"modify-frame-parameters"
"frame-notice-user-settings"
"command-line-1"
"command-line"
"normal-top-level"

if you look in `command-line', the call to  `command-line-1' is a
few lines after the code that loads the term/xterm.el file.