RE: display-buffer

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: display-buffer
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 13:49:57 -0800

I'll answer too, in case that helps.

        If I force a new frame by setting pop-up-frames to
        t or using special-display-regexps then this window
        *is* selected.

    Is it _always_ selected?

Yes, I believe so - each time display-buffer is called.

emacs -q
(setq pop-up-frames t)
(display-buffer "*scratch*") ; new frame - "normal" for Windows

Click in original frame, to focus it.
(display-buffer "*scratch*") ; reuses existing frame, but focusses it

    Do you use click-to-focus or focus-follows-mouse?

The Windows window manager is only click-to-focus, I believe. I don't know
of a way to change that.  IIUC, that means that focus-follows-mouse doesn't
do anything (and that is what I observe).

        Is that a bug?

    If you use focus-follows-mouse, and the new frame
    pops up where the mouse is, then I think this is
    imevitable.  Otherwise, I think it is a bug.