Re: Defaults for set-variable

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Defaults for set-variable
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 13:35:15 +0100

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

> So there are only two layers: variables (defined by `defvar') and
> user options (defined by `defcustom').  An additional layer of
> variables marked with a funny * in the documentation string seems
> unnecessary.

I disagree.  For example, variables that are intended to be let-bound
are defined with defvar, but should certainly not set with
set-variable.  Then there are variables that are intended for internal
purposes in a package.  Those should also not be set with
set-variable.

Customized variables make only sense where we are talking about a
state that is intended to be preserved across sessions.  For example,
buffer-local variables would not make sense to put into customize.