Re: Support find-tag in Info-mode

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Support find-tag in Info-mode
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 11:45:34 +0200

>     Try to use M-. on `foo' in Info-mode and you get the error,
>     "Can't find tag foo'.
>
>     I have little experience with syntax entries, but the following
>     fixes find-tag at the expense of losing the ability to consider
>     a contraction as part of the same word:
>
>       (add-hook 'Info-mode-hook
>                 '(lambda ()
>                    (modify-syntax-entry ?' "'   ")))
>
> This would make M-f and M-b work badly, so it certainly is not a good
> idea.

It makes M-f and M-b work badly only for contractions like "it's", "don't".
But in Info manuals apostrophes are no less frequently used as a right
single quotation mark.  Since contractions are rare on word boundaries
in English, then what about treating ' as part of the same word only
when both its adjacent characters have word syntax?

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/