Re: new apropos feature in Emacs-22

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: new apropos feature in Emacs-22
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 21:46:16 +0200

> From: "Drew Adams" <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 09:33:12 -0800
>
>     I think the idea was that a list of words is more natural input at
>     that point than a regexp.  People nowadays are used to Google-style
>     queries more than to regexps.  FWIW, I rarely myself use regexps in
>     apropos.
>
> Why try to mix regexp input with keyword input in the same command? That's
> just asking for trouble. Why not have two different commands -
> `apropos-with-keywords' and `apropos'? That's a cleaner way to add treatment
> of keywords.

Please be sure to read the discussions about the various aspects of
this feature.  It starts here:

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2002-05/msg00397.html

You will see that I already suggested back then to have a separate
command, in this message:

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2002-05/msg00400.html

The ensuing discussion mentioned some drawbacks of that suggestion.