Re: new apropos feature in Emacs-22

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: new apropos feature in Emacs-22
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 20:46:27 +0200

> Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 12:31:27 -0600 (CST)
> From: Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden
>
> With the current code, ".emacs init file" will trigger a regexp
> search, whereas a newbie user unfamiliar with regexps might have
> expected the usual "at least two matches" behavior.

A search engine quite frequently brings unexpected matches, based on
its convoluted heuristics.  Perhaps you are unfamiliar with that
phenomenon because you tend to use quoted phrases (which defeat those
heuristics), but it's normal for majority of users I've seen.

Searching large bodies of text will never be an exact science.