[Fwd: Re: How to know which function a menu item calls?]

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: [Fwd: Re: How to know which function a menu item calls?]
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 20:35:09 +0100

Is this a good suggestion?

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Re: How to know which function a menu item calls?
Date:   Sun, 06 Nov 2005 15:47:01 +0100
From:   Harald Hanche-Olsen <address@hidden>
To:     address@hidden
Newsgroups:     gnu.emacs.help

+ Ralf Angeli <address@hidden>:

| * Weihua JIANG (2005-11-06) writes:
|
|>  However, I don't know how to know which function calls when I clicked a
|> menu item?
|>  Can any one tell me how to know it?
|
| C-h k

Which of course has an unhelpful prompt (Describe key:).  If the
prompt were to be changed to say something like "Describe event (key,
mouse or menu selection):", it would be more obvious what it can do.
It doesn't matter if the prompt is long, since at most, a few key
strokes need to be echoed in the minibuffer next to it.

If some emacs maintainer reads this, please consider it a feature
request, even if it is in the wrong forum.  ;-)

- Debating gives most of us much more psychological satisfaction
 than thinking does: but it deprives us of whatever chance there is
 of getting closer to the truth.  -- C.P. Snow