Re: ANN: Emacs.app 9.0-pre1

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: ANN: Emacs.app 9.0-pre1
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 22:53:32 -0500

On Nov 7, 2005, at 9:52 PM, Sun Yijiang wrote:

Thank you Adrian. This is my env, generally speaking, it's Gentoo 2005.1 with gcc 3.4.4 and gnustep from `ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge gnustep-env'.

# emerge -s gnustep
*  gnustep-base/gnustep-back-art
      Latest version installed: 0.9.6-r1

Should be OK.

I googled for a while after that reply, and found the same suggestion as you gave. It works for compiling *.m to *.o, but there're still error messages when gcc links *.o to `temacs', all are "undefined reference to whatwhatwhat". I added `-lobjc' to the gcc link command line, some errors gone, but still many like "undefined reference to NSxxx" and "undefined reference to __objc_class_name_NSxxx". I searched the GNUStep directory, found no *.a but only *.so. I'm stuck here.

OK, I'd forgotten that -fconstant-string-class=NSConstantString should have been set up in the Makefile already. (That's why it wasn't needed in the config anymore.) Take a look at src/Makefile.in and search for 'GNUSTEP'. If the .m.o rule there wasn't making it into your actual Makefile, or was being ignored for some reason, that's the source of that problem. The linking issue could be related, because those flags are also keyed off of #ifdef GNUSTEP, in src/Makefile.in and src/config.h.

I'm not sure what's happening in your case, but for the heck of it, you could try adding '-DGNUSTEP' to the CFLAGS in nextstep/compile -- maybe there's something different on your system regarding how CFLAGS and CPPFLAGS are processed.

(I'm more than open to suggestions for improving any of this, if you can find something that works on your setup..)

thanks,
Adrian