Re: vc-rename-file doesn't work for CVS

From: Aaron S. Hawley
Subject: Re: vc-rename-file doesn't work for CVS
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 13:03:03 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> >> While I'm trying to rename a file with 'vc-rename-file', the old file
> >> was deleted from my working copy, and a new file was created,
> >> everything seems ok, but if I checkout a fresh new working copy, the
> >> old file and the new one was check out all together.  It seems like
> >> that the "cvs remove" commond doen't issue at all.

> > After a quick glance at this problem it may have been related to the
> > removal of the function `vc-cvs-rename-file'.

> AFAICT this shouldn't make any difference.  The vc-cvs-rename-file had the
> same requirement that the user had to commit both the OLD and the NEW
> files afterwards.

I guess that does make sense.  Isn't that different across backends?
Shouldn't something like the following be mentioned in the manual?

*** files.texi  31 Oct 2005 13:56:40 -0500      1.121
--- files.texi  08 Nov 2005 13:00:38 -0500
***************
*** 2573,2578 ****
--- 2573,2583 ----
  snapshot thus modified may not completely work (@pxref{Snapshot
  Caveats}).

+   Some backends do not provide an explicit rename operation to their
+ repositories.  After issuing @code{vc-rename-file}, use @kbd{C-x v v}
+ on the original and renamed buffers and provide the necessary edit
+ log.
+
    You cannot use @code{vc-rename-file} on a file that is locked by
  someone else.