Re: C-x C-f RET change

From: Edward O'Connor
Subject: Re: C-x C-f RET change
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 12:53:20 -0800

Florian Weimer wrote:

> In previous versions, C-x C-f RET reread the current buffer from the
> disk.  In Emacs 22, it shows the the current directory using dired.
> While the new behavior is certainly more intuitive for beginners, the
> old behavior is needed more often by more advanced users, especially
> if they are not yet so advanced that they do everything from within a
> single Emacs process.

As a "more advanced user", I can honestly say that I never cared for the
old behavior, and infinitely prefer the newer behavior. In fact, I'm
still in the habit of typing C-x C-f DEL RET precisely because the old
behavior got in the way of what I intended.

Actually, until your email I never even knew what the old behavior was,
exactly. It seemed like C-x C-f RET was a no-op.

I've always used M-x revert-buffer RET when wanting Emacs to reread the
buffer from disk.

Ted

--
Edward O'Connor
address@hidden

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.