describe-bindings: ^L, bad order, naming

From: David Reitter
Subject: describe-bindings: ^L, bad order, naming
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 20:29:35 +0000

describe-bindings separates the different groups with ^L even though the text that is output is intended to be human-readable.

Isn't there a nicer way the groups can be separated?

I also get a long list with latin key characters that are bound to encoded-kbd-self-insert-ccl. That's rather annoying. If this needs to be listed (why?), it should come at the end. As a novice user when trying out the describe-bindings function, I would see that there is a lot of uninteresting technical stuff at the beginning, so I would get rid of the window and try something else (like annoying people with questions in news groups...). And that happens with a function that is of great use, especially to new Emacs users.

Couldn't there be a list of all groups in the beginning, with links going to the bindings belonging to the group? Or ideally, a list of all groups with a widget on each group that expands the group to show the full list of bindings?

Lastly, I was wondering if one could use a better name for the menu item. "List Key Bindings" is of course perfectly correct from an Emacs terminology point of view. But as a new user, I would be looking for something like "Keyboard Functions" or "Keyboard Shortcuts" or so, not for "Bindings".

The Help menu is really important and useful to newbies. It would be very helpful if one could make it easier to understand.