RE: C-x C-f RET change

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: C-x C-f RET change
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 15:35:51 -0800

    >     >     > I use pop-up-frames = t. Each buffer is in its
    own frame, by
    >     >     > default. So, I use `C-x 4 f' to open the same
    file in another
    >     >     > frame (cloning the frame, in effect).
    >     >
    >     >     What's wrong with `C-x 5 2'?
    >     >
    >     > Nothing.  Good point.
    >     >
    >     > I guess I never think of the `C-x 5' prefix, because I use
    >     > pop-up-frames = t. `C-x 4' generally does the same thing as
    >     > `C-x 5' in that case, except for a few exceptions like this
    >     > (there is no `C-x 4 2').
    >
    >     There is C-x 2 though.
    >
    > I guess I miss your point.  Even with pop-up-frames = t,
    > `C-x 2' does not open the file in a separate frame (and it
    > shouldn't).

    Then we probably should have a separate C-x 4 2 for symmetry that
    obeys the setting of pop-up-frames.

I don't know about that, but we could. It wouldn't hurt.

It might be somewhat confusing when pop-up-frames = nil. In that case, `C-x
4' would (I imagine) do the same thing as `C-x 2'. (I don't mind.)

`C-x 2' and `C-x 5 2' are not strictly parallel, because window commands
have two prefixes: `C-x' for "this" window and `C-x 4' for "other" window.
Frame commands do not have two prefixes - they have only `C-x 5'.

`C-x 2' says to split _this_ window in two; it doesn't say to do anything
about another window, according to the conventional interpretation. It could
alternatively be thought of, however, as `make-another-window' instead of
`split-window', in which case it would make sense as `C-x 4 2'.

So, it might be worth creating a separate `make-another-window' (or
`make-window-command', in analogy to `make-frame-command'), bound to `C-x 4
2'. With pop-up-frames = nil, this would do the same thing as
`split-window'. With pop-up-frames = t, this would do the same thing as
`make-frame-command'. That would keep the conventions and terminology
consistent.

In any case, `C-x 4 2' is by no means an important requirement.