Re: describe-bindings: ^L, bad order, naming

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: describe-bindings: ^L, bad order, naming
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 01:03:00 +0000 (UTC)

   I would go for just "Keyboard Shortcuts".

But that is inaccurate!  They are certainly not shortcuts!  You have
to type them!  Perhaps compared to something you type, voice
recognition would provide `shortcuts', until voice recognition became
common.

"Keyboard Bindings" makes much more sense.  If recent terminology is
wrong and misleading, we should tell people that, and point them
towards better language.

(Just so we do not waste time in argument, that is why I have long
argued against Emacs' use of the word `kill' meaning Christian-style
resurrection, which is not a `killing' in most people's language.
`Cut', a non-Emacs term, comes from a poor metaphor, too.  Nowadays,
few people with computers physically cut up paper newspapers and paste
elsewhere the resulting printed text.)

   ... explain the terminology in another way.

Yes.  Definitely.

--
    Robert J. Chassell
    address@hidden                         GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8