RE: completion-auto-help

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: completion-auto-help
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 10:39:44 -0800

I wrote:

    Some people might find the automatic list updating to be distracting
    (I find it very helpful, personally).

Correction - I find it very helpful, provided I want to see the
*Completions* list at all. If *Completions* is automatically displayed from
the outset, and updated at each keystroke, that can be distracting in some
contexts and helpful in others.

I mentioned two optional auto-update behaviors in Icicles:

     non-nil means update *Completions* incrementally, as you type.
      t means do nothing if *Completions* is not already displayed.
      non-nil and non-t means display *Completions* and update it.

It is the `t' behavior that I find very helpful. I find the non-nil, non-t
behavior distracting, depending on the size of the alist for
completing-read. With a large alist, auto-update as soon as you start typing
something can lead to massive update changes in *Completions*.

I'm still requesting a way to display *Completions* from the beginning, but
I would use that only in particular contexts - for example, when the list of
candidates is relatively small (*Completions* is treated as a menu), in
which case, auto-update is not distracting. Otherwise I would use it without
auto-update.

That's why I'd like to keep the two (display *Completions* initially and
auto-update it) as separate options.