RE: describe-bindings: ^L, bad order, naming

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: describe-bindings: ^L, bad order, naming
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 11:10:16 -0800

    >     > Isn't there a nicer way the groups can be separated?
    >
    >     We could use overlays to display the ^L as something more visually
    >     appealing, while leaving ^L in the buffer.
    >
    > Yes, that's what I was thinking too. The ^L should stay, but
    > can be made more user-friendly.

    Here's one more idea for displaying the bindings (it could also be
    useful for what display-mode shows): put the help buffer into Outline
    mode and use Outline-style headings instead of the ^L delimiters.
    Initially, the display could be collapsed so that only the headings
    are shown; users then could use Outline commands both for movement
    between groups of bindings and for showing only those groups they are
    interested in.

That might be OK, but I believe Outline mode can be a bit scary for
newbies - it's not always immediately clear how to use it.

I think the main problem is the extraneous, uninteresting bindings, which
you say is a bug. Getting rid of them will be a big help.

Beyond that, identifying the sections (e.g. with a horizontal overlay line
or something, in place of ^L), and providing links to them near the top,
should be sufficient.