Re: new apropos feature in Emacs-22

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: new apropos feature in Emacs-22
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 21:15:08 -0600 (CST)

Richard Stallman wrote:

   The only think I can think of that would help beginners with such
   inputs would be to detect such cases and ask the user "Did you mean
   this as a regexp or as a list of keywords?"  That question would
   help people without requiring them to remember in advance that the
   two options exist.

It would be _very_ annoying if that question were asked each time that
an input could be interpreted as a regexp, especially for people who
are always going to use a regexp.

Also, I believe that if a beginning user uses apropos, it usually is
because they read some doc somewhere that told them that, for more
info, they could run a specific apropos command with a specific
regexp.  If a _true_ newbie literally follows somebody else's
instructions and he gets asked: keywords or regexps?, then he may not
know what to do.

Sincerely,

Luc.