Re: custom-set-variables fails to set variable

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: custom-set-variables fails to set variable
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 22:41:19 -0600 (CST)

Richard Stallman wrote:

   A more automatic solution could be: define-derived-mode
   could automatically produce an autoload definition
   of the defvar.  That would solve the problem, right?
   It is not normal for update-file-autoloads to generate
   an autoload with no autoload cookie, but we could do that.

Unless I am confused, this also has the disadvantage that it is not
going to work for uses of define-minor-mode in third party packages.

Sincerely,

Luc.