Re: describe-bindings: ^L, bad order, naming

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: describe-bindings: ^L, bad order, naming
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 12:58:54 +0000

On 12 Nov 2005, at 12:28, Robert J. Chassell wrote:
You are an expert.  Many novices print what they see.  They should not
-- after all, a computer plus printer is more than an early 20th
century typesetting machine plus printing machine -- but they do.

Yes they do - you're talking about computer illiterates like my mom, right? Or people who use AOL as their ISP... But is my mom every going to need a text editor? No.

In our context, novices are people new to the program and its concepts. I know plenty of people who are good programmers and experts in their (computer science related) fields, but who don't know a single Emacs specific shortcut. As you said, they don't want to waste their time. So they would like to find out quickly how to do things.