Re: opening /tmp//foo doesn't work.

From: Han Boetes
Subject: Re: opening /tmp//foo doesn't work.
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 16:15:24 +0100

Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
> Han wrote:
> > If you try to open /tmp//foo emacs will try to open /foo, of
> > course this is a great feature, but it forgets that /tmp//foo
> > is a valid notation of /tmp/foo.
>
> Not remebering various standards exactly on the topic, but I
> don't recall any guarante that /tmp//foo must be the same as
> /tmp/foo.

This is not about standards, but about what is the expected
behaviour.

> As for the side-effect behaviour you suggest, I think it would
> confuse the hell out of me aleast...

I don't think so. In the case of /tmp//foo /foo will be searched
for first and that's what will be loaded and what is meant.

Just sometimes people type /tmp//foo while they mean /tmp/foo, and
in that case it's unlikely you will find /foo.

I'm quite sure this will be exactly what people meant and expected
to happen.

# Han