Re: Turning on file-name-shadow-mode by default (was: opening /tmp//foo

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Turning on file-name-shadow-mode by default (was: opening /tmp//foo doesn't work.)
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 15:17:08 -0600 (CST)

Miles Bader wrote:

   Also, Stefan wanted to rewrite it to not use regexps ... I'm not sure
   what's up with that.  My only concern was that his method would be too
   slow/consy, but it may be Ok in practice, I just don't know.  However
   I guess that's orthogonal to turning it on.

It was not orthogonal, since Stefan was supposedly going to fix the
problems with file-name-shadow-mode.  For instance
`file-name-shadow-mode' gave very confusing results when the file name
contains environment variables, like /home/$USER.  It also did not
know about the `\:' convention.  Stefan posted a patch fixing this.  I
was waiting for Stefan to install his changes before enabling
`file-name-shadow-mode' by default, but apparently Stefan never
installed them and I forgot about the entire thing.

Sincerely,

Luc.