Re: describe-bindings: ^L, bad order, naming

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: describe-bindings: ^L, bad order, naming
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 11:59:15 +0000

On 13 Nov 2005, at 20:54, Richard M. Stallman wrote:

I do not see that when I try it.  Can you figure out what causes
them to appear?

What we see is the key-translation-map. It is defined by encoded-kbd- mode, which is off on GNU/Linux (tested on X11), but on under GNU/OS X and on Windows. On the Mac, (keyboard-coding-system) is mac-roman, for example. This causes encoded-kbd-mode to insert a bunch of bindings to encoded-kbd-self-insert-ccl. On various coding system types, it will insert bindings to one of the following

encoded-kbd-self-insert-iso2022-8bit
encoded-kbd-self-insert-iso2022-7bit
encoded-kbd-self-insert-big5
encoded-kbd-self-insert-sjis
encoded-kbd-self-insert-ccl

One solution to the issue might be to simply have describe_map (in keymap.c) not show any bindings to "self-insert" commands. Of course that would only make sense if such commands need not be seen in any situations. One such situation might be when an inheriting keymap overwrites a binding. I don't know if describe-bindings deals with this.

Another solution would be to show the key-translation-map bindings only under the heading "`encoded-kbd-mode' Minor Mode Bindings:" and ensure that this group is folded away by default, so people can activate it when needed. (But please, do not require knowledge of outline mode. Use a widget or insert text like "press ... to show these bindings".)