Re: mh-e/mh-loaddefs.el removed from CVS

From: Emilio Lopes
Subject: Re: mh-e/mh-loaddefs.el removed from CVS
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 19:56:35 +0100

Stefan Monnier writes:

> Admittedly, this is not specific to Emacs, and arguably CVS should come with
> a tool to delete non-CVS-managed files to revert to the "fresh checkout"
> state.

Just for the records, there's a set of CVS utilities called `cvsutils'.
It provides, among others, the following programs:

   CVSCO
          cvsco is a "cruel checkout". In other words, it removes
          results of compilation and discards local changes.  It
          deletes all the files except listed unmodified ones and
          checks out everything which seems to be missing.  Please
          note, that cvsco doesn't update files which haven't been
          modified locally. It only reloads missing files and files
          which it erases.

   CVSDISCARD
          cvsdiscard is "discard my changes". In other words, it
          discards local changes but keeps results of compilation. It
          works like cvsco, but it only deletes files which are likely
          to cause merge conflicts.

   CVSPURGE
          cvspurge leaves all files known to CVS, but removes the
          rest.  Unlike cvsco, it doesn't remove local changes.  It is
          useful to test local changes in the otherwise clean source
          tree.

   CVSTRIM
          cvstrim removes files and directories unknown to CVS. Files
          listed in .cvsignore are not removed. The idea is to remove
          the files that are not resulted from the normal build process
          - backups, coredumps etc.  cvstrim relies on .cvsignore files
          being correct. Note that the backups for modified files are
          removed.

--
Emílio C. Lopes
Munich, Germany