Re: Turning on file-name-shadow-mode by default

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Turning on file-name-shadow-mode by default
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 21:04:42 -0600 (CST)

Juri Linkov wrote:

   >    Does it handle the "http://"; prefix correctly?
   >
   > I believe so.  After "http://";, "http:/" is shadowed and "/" not, and
   > indeed, you visit "/".  After "/:http://"; nothing is shadowed.
   > What is wrong with that?

   Some packages like FFAP can read both a file name and URL in the same
   minibuffer.  With leading "http://"; highlighting of URL is wrong.

I do not understand.  After "http://";, the "http:/" _should _ be
shadowed, because "/" is what is going to be visited.
file-name-shadow-mode should tell me what is actually going to be
visited, not what would be visited if I enabled certain packages.
(And, actually "http://"; visits "/", even if FFAP is enabled: I tried.)

After "/:http://"; tramp is enabled and nothing is shadowed.

What very specifically is wrong with either of these two examples?
What would you expect to be shadowed or not shadowed and why?

Sincerely,

Luc.