Re: Help menu (was: Re: describe-bindings: ^L, bad order, naming)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Help menu (was: Re: describe-bindings: ^L, bad order, naming)
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 06:07:53 +0200

> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>,
>  address@hidden
> From: David Reitter <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 18:18:55 +0000
>
> > Including it in parentheses can't hurt.
>
> How about including it in the menu item name on systems that don't
> display the help texts?

What systems are those?  I thought we display the help echo on all
systems, the only difference is whether they are displayed in tooltips
or in the echo area.

> Describe -->
>        Describe Buffer Modes...
>       Describe Key or Mouse Operation ...
>       Describe ...
>       Describe ...
>       List Key Bindings
>       ---
>       Describe ...
>       Describe ...
>       Show all of Mule Stats
>

> wouldn't it be easier for users to keep an oversight if we had
> something like
>
> Describe -->
>       Buffer Modes
>       Key or Mouse Operation
>       Key Bindings

Sorry, this cannot be done by just dropping the "Describe" part.  The
reason is that on some systems (notably, the non-toolkit X build),
only the last submenu is displayed.  That is, if you click Help, then
select Describe, the initial Help menu disappears, and only the
Describe submenu stays on the screen.  So, if you remove the
"Describe" part, what one sees is incomprehensible.

Similar problem exists when one uses tmm (e.g., on a tty).