Re: Slow frame creation when many faces defined

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: Slow frame creation when many faces defined
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 17:11:59 +0900

> I've got a question about a noticeable lag in frame creation when
> many frames are defined. This can be reproduced with

> (let ((n 0)) (while (< n 1000) (make-face (make-symbol "someface"))
> (setq n (1+ n))) )

> then do C-x 5 2. This creates a lag of several seconds.;

As you may have already noticed, the Carbon version is much slower
than the X11 version for this example.  The reason is that the X
Resource Manager emulation function consumes some short-lived objects
for each query, and a number of calls of this function causes frequent
GCs.

I installed some changes for this problem.  Frame creation is still
slow, but should be better than before.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden