Re: Faces customization group linked from mode groups

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Faces customization group linked from mode groups
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 18:21:11 -0500

    >From all these link types only four are documented in the Emacs Lisp
    manual in the node (info "(elisp)Common Keywords"): custom-manual,
    info-link, url-link and emacs-commentary-link.  What about documenting
    remaining six types: custom-group-link, function-link, variable-link,
    file-link, emacs-library-link and documentation-link?

In principle it sounds good.  Please write a patch we could consider.

    Maybe
    Widget link types should be documented in the Widget manual, and

No, no, no!  That idea comes from trying to organize things in the
most logical structure--which is the wrong approach to structuring
documentation.  The main goal of the manual is _to be convenient_.

I put this info in the Emacs Lisp Manual because people need it for
writing ordinary Lisp programs well.  To put it somewhere else would
be a more logical structure, but it would be less convenient.

Logical structuring of the documentation sometimes increases
convenience, and sometimes gets in the way.  When it increases
convenience, it is good.  When it gets in the way, it is bad.